Friday, March 1, 2013

DIY White Iridescent Glitter Manicure

One of the problems of being both a college student and a nail polish addict is not being able to afford certain brands of nail polish. Chanel, Dior, YSL, Nars, Illamasqua, Deborah Lippmann, and countless more all prove to be too expensive for me. I don't mind it really. I haven't really found any colors from those brands that I am dying to have, with the exception of one. Deborah Lippmann Stairway to Heaven. Actually there are a lot of Deborah Lippmann polishes that I want but this one I am dying to get my hands on. This polish contains small, white iridescent glitter in both square and hex form in a clear base. I've heard this described as having multicolored glitter in it. No. It's iridescent, meaning the surface appears as various colors when viewed from different angles. Anyway, another thing I love about this polish is the name: Stairway to Heaven. Not only is it an absolutely epic song from one of my favorite bands, but the polish is as glowing and luminous as actual stairways to heaven. There's a feeling I get when I see them and I get that same feeling when I hear that name and see that polish. 

Okay so onto the whole reason I even created this post. I decided try a much cheaper alternative to buying Stairway to Heaven. It's really not at all as pretty as the real thing but it's still pretty cool. And I really love experimenting with do it yourself nail polish and manicures. It's fun to pretend you have your own nail polish brand.

It was really hard to to capture just how sparkly the glitter is. It's much more beautiful in person than in the pictures. I think that says a lot because it is still quite lovely in the pictures. 

DIY White Iridescent Glitter Manicure

DIY White Iridescent Glitter Manicure
How to achieve this look:

1. Apply Orly Bonder (or your favorite base coat).
2. Apply one coat of OPI Don't Touch My Tutu.
3. Apply another coat of Don't Touch My Tutu, sprinkle glitter over nail immediately after polish is applied (meaning don't apply the second coat to all of you nails and then sprinkle the glitter. Do one nail at a time with both the polish and the glitter. This is how you get the glitter to stick on properly).
4. Apply a top coat if desired (I did not in the pictures above).

I only needed to spend an extra $1.25 to complete this look. All I needed was the glitter since I had all of the other stuff I used on hand. That beats $19 by a landslide. I hope this inspires you to try your own glitter manicures. You can do this with any color glitter!










No comments:

Post a Comment